â–ş Listen Live

HomeNewsNew Nisga'a Language Fluency degree launched at UNBC

New Nisga’a Language Fluency degree launched at UNBC

The Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Institute (WWN) and UNBC are launching a new program to ensure the long-term vitality of the Nisga’a language.

The program is a Bachelor of Arts in Nisga’a Language Fluency degree, set to launch in September 2024.

The four-year degree is the first of its kind in Northern BC, and will offer students an immersive education in the Nisga’a language, with a key goal of creating new fluent Nisga’a language speakers.

“It is exciting to witness students becoming fluent and using their language skills in public,” said WWN President and Chief Executive Officer Dr. Deanna Nyce.

- Advertisement -

“Students are excited and are encouraging others to enroll in WWN-UNBC Nisga’a Language program to earn a certificate, diploma or the full Bachelor of Arts degree.”

The degree is offered through UNBC’s Faculty of Indigenous Studies, Social Sciences and Humanities, in co-operation with WWN.

“The new Bachelor of Arts in Nisga’a Language Fluency program builds on UNBC’s longstanding partnership with the Wilp Wilxo’oskwhl Nisga’a Institute to deliver relevant and culturally enriching programs in community-based settings,” said UNBC President Dr. Geoff Payne.

“By supporting language revitalization in the Nass Valley, UNBC and WWN are helping Nisga’a students deepen their connection with their language, culture and community.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading