The BC Wildfire Service is responding to multiple fires in the Peace River region – the largest of which is a 60-hectare fire North of Moberly Lake that is visible from Highway 29.
As temperatures climb, the Wildfire Service is asking people to be cautious even though there are no active fire bans.
Some things they ask people enjoying the sun to keep in mind:
- Ensure that adequate resources are on hand to control the fire and stop it from spreading;
- Never burn in windy conditions. Weather conditions can change quickly, and the wind may carry embers to other combustible material and start new fires;
- Create an appropriately sized fireguard around the planned fire site by clearing away twigs, grass, leaves and other combustible material, right down to the mineral soil;
- Never leave a fire unattended;
- Make sure that any fire is completely extinguished, and the ashes are cold to the touch before leaving the area for any length of time
For more information, click here.