This past Saturday was National Impaired Driving Enforcement Day, and also marked the start of the holiday season’s drinking and driving counterattack program.
This year, members of the Vanderhoof RCMP and the North District BC Highway Patrol ramped up enforcement of impaired driving in Vanderhoof, Fort St. James, and Fraser Lake.
Police conducted proactive patrols that resulted in:
- Nine violation tickets for speeding
- Two violation tickets for other moving offences
- Four written warnings for speeding
- One excessive speeding which resulted in a vehicle being impounded
- One driving prohibition being served.
A check stop was conducted on Highway 16 west of Fraser Lake as well, but none of the 25 drivers that came through were under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
Police would like to remind everyone to make plans to have designated drivers before heading out to take part in holiday festivities.
Police will be continuing to increase their efforts to detect and removed impaired drivers from the road.